Saturday, March 9, 2013

“People are more important than things.” Randy Pausch

So he was having a meltdown, my oldest 7 year old - a tantrum like a 2 year old.  A very frustrating, attention seeking meltdown.  "I am so bored.  This is the worst day ever." Blah Blah Blah on and on he went.  I stopped hearing the content and just heard the incessant whining.  I attempted some new strategies instead of employing my normal one of yelling at him to calm down.   "How about you name 3 things that make you happy?"  I said.  He replied, "Nothing, nothing, and nothing."  Funny guy.  I tried again and this time he was able to say, "Pillow pet, bears, and the craft store."  Name 3 things you could do today?  He said, "Nothing, the craft store and the craft store."  

It appeared that he may need some mama love.  I gave him a hug and pulled him to my lap just like when he was a baby.  I cooed at him and sang "rock-a-bye -baby."  I continued to put on my makeup while he was on my lap. As I applied each item, he would comment, "Why do you wear lip liner?"  What? My 7 year old son knows that it's called lip liner?  Wow.  As I progressed through the process he knew the name of each and every item- eyeliner, eyeshadow, mascara all of them except for the blush. (I'll forgive him that one).  I applied one eye at a time and he would give his opinion on which eye he liked better- the one with the shadow or the one without and so it went through the eyeliner and the mascara.  He ultimately liked me best with the makeup on


Why does my boy know all about my makeup?  Because, he is with me every morning- laying on the bed watching me- standing in the bathroom with me or wandering in and out.  My boy knows because he loves his mama.  He knows that the best things are not toys, stuffed animals or craft stores, they are people.  


I've always told my kids since they were little that, "People are more important that things."   My oldest 7 year old got that lesson. He got it good.

No comments:

Post a Comment